Ongoing Support to Nurture the Writer... and Inspire the Writing…
You’ve heard the whispering to write, but it is so easy to put aside. After all, you have a busy life and there are other priorities. Instead of listening and taking action, your mind blankets you with all the reasons not to write.
What if instead there was a place where the writing journey wasn’t an isolated trudge that you avoid, but a supportive journey that leads you back to your true self and the words yearning to be expressed? If that memoir, non-fiction book, blog, novel, essay or other writing desire came to life in a way that felt more enlivening and effortless?
This is what you’ll find in the Women’s Inspired Writing Circles.
Here, writing isn’t that thing on the back burner you feel guilty about not doing, but the thing that you are so excited to pursue that nothing stands in your way.
This is where you find time and space to focus on your creative unfolding. We explore how to refill our creative wells with exquisite self-care so that our desire to write keeps percolating. Words flow from abundance rather than being pried from depletion. And each week, you clear away the debris of what blocks writing (internal and external), get back into alignment with your inner truth, and gain inspiration for the journey.
The result is such deep nourishment and self-care that your inner creative can’t help but to joyfully express herself.
This group also takes into account LIFE. So many of us are in transition or dealing with life’s messiness. On our own, that means our writing projects are the first to go. But in this group, through compassionate listening and coaching, we see how to reasonably keep our finger on the creative pulse while at the same time tending to day-to-day life. We become skilled at dealing with obstacles. And, as always, staying true to what matters most.
"Alone, I am what I am, but in community I have the chance to become everything I can be." - Joan D. Chittister
Who is this for?
- want to start, or finish, or dance with more ease through the middle of, any writing projects
- are writing books, memoirs, blogs, poetry, journaling… or would like to!
- want to bring more creativity into their lives, not just in writing
- are new to writing AND those who have been writing for decades
- want to meet themselves, and their creative work, with more compassion, inspiration, creativity and joy
- want a place to put themselves and their self-care first, instead of somewhere down a long list of other PEOPLE’S needs
Never trust a therapist who doesn’t have a therapist. Never trust a writing coach who doesn’t have a writing coach.
Carolyn and I are colleagues, friends, and now she has become my coach — a teacher who understands my needs and is successfully moving me forward.
Carolyn has an intuitive gene that’s hard to come by. Add to that her laser focus and laser coaching and you have a winning combination. But the key element of her teaching/coaching abilities is the compassionate way in which she helps you move forward. She has led me to the well of self-compassion, creating a much better space for me in which to write. In addition, within 6 months of joining her writing circle, I finished a memoir I had been working on for 12 years and struggling to complete.
She is genuine. She is knowledgeable. She is authentic. What more could you want?
author, seasoned facilitator, and reflective writing coach
Why Do It?
Have you ever had a jolt of inspiration? I’m going to write a book, you proclaim! Or you decide now is the time to launch your blog, start writing poetry, finish that ebook or perhaps start exploring the idea of memoir.
And then, a week or a month later, you run into an obstacle and all motivation fades. It becomes the missed opportunity that drains energy rather than the thing that revitalizes you and gives you purpose. The more time that goes by, the harder it becomes to re-engage, and eventually, you just don’t.
This is the place where you move your project forward. Yay! And even better, it’s not done from push, but by clearing out obstacles so that the path becomes clear and joyful. Before you know it, writing is the thing that gets you out of bed in the morning and that sense of productivity and creative immersion seep out into everything else.
When Carolyn proposed leading a new writing group, I was uncertain. I wasn’t in need of a critique group. I was, however, in need of compassionate accountability. Carolyn’s knowledgeable guidance has not only bound me to five intelligent, capable, and creative women, but with the support of this group I recently finished a novel I began 12 years ago. This group has helped me set needed boundaries around my creative time. How can I not endorse the leadership and support that has brought that enrichment?
novelist and blogger
A few things that Make these Circles Rock…
- These Circles are small and intimate, with no more than 6 per Circle. That way everyone gets individual attention and the group becomes tight knit, often remaining friends and championing each other far into the future.
- Each gathering, whether in-person or virtual, is like a mini-retreat with time and space to pause and connect with our wisdom in the midst of community. So you get the spaciousness of a writing retreat and the practicality of a goal oriented group in one place. One stop shopping!
- Small group coaching by a professionally trained life and writing coach. So while there is focus on the writing, there is also lots of care and attention on the Writer.
- Blocks and patterns uncovered in this process often show up in other areas of our lives; once we understand them here, positive change happens in other areas, from relationships to time-management.
- Free membership in the larger online and in-person Creative Soul Community.
The first time my inner writer was released was at one of Carolyn’s Writing Retreats. I was inspired and reunited with my love of writing. Alas, it is hard to stay motivated and on track; but enter Carolyn’s ongoing Creative Journey Writing Circles. Shazam! I am writing up a storm and loving every minute of it. Carolyn’s gentle guidance and soul-searching questions keep me exploring my depths and reaching new highs with my writing skills. The ongoing contact each week keeps me focused, creatively stimulated, and deeply connected to other brilliant and talented women. Love it!
Acupuncturist, essayist, coach
More to Know
Women’s Inspired Writing Circles vs. Creative Soul Seasonal Women’s Circles?
What’s the difference between them?
Women’s Inspired Writing Circles:
- Circle size is limited to 6 participants.
- Each person has a specific writing goal (such as starting or finishing a book, writing more consistently overall, etc).
- We meet in-person or online weekly to move you towards that goal.
- Gatherings include check-ins, intention setting, and time to write or read aloud.
- Purpose: To move you towards your writing goals in a way that feels inspiring as well as self-care for the writer.
Creative Soul Seasonal Women’s Circles:
- Circle size is usually 10 to 12 at any given gathering.
- We meet at my home every other week for 4 months.
- Conducted in a spacious, retreat-like atmosphere conducive to self-exploration.
- Gatherings include a brief meditation, book discussion (the book changes each season), journaling with prompts to deepen what we’ve read, small group sharing.
- Purpose: A conscious community of women and to inspire us to stay creatively alive and thriving in the second half of life.
Can I join both groups?
Yes! Many women do as I structure the days and times of the groups so they don’t overlap, and the learning in one group often enlarges the experience of the other group. If you want more information on the Creative Soul Women’s Circles go here.
Connecting with Carolyn’s writing group is the sparkle of my week. It’s a safe space for risk-taking and I always leave our sessions feeling inspired to go beyond my self-imposed limits. Through Carolyn’s compassionate coaching, I have found my voice, become a daily journaler, learned to appreciate my gifts, and composed poetry and prose which will be sent to publishers in the next few months. This positive experience has been life changing for me. Thank you again for never letting me give up the Dream.
poet, encourager, doggie interpreter
Austin, Texas Women’s Inspired Writing Circles
Circle size is limited to 6 participants.
We “meet” twice a month in-person, and twice for an online gathering and check-in, so accountability and support is weekly.
Circles are ongoing, so if you are interested in joining one, request an application below.
Women’s Virtual Inspired Writing Circle (open to anyone world-wide, in or out of Austin)
- Circle size is limited to 6 participants.
- We “meet” 4 times a month, or weekly, for one-hour phone sessions.
- Communication between sessions is conducted via private Facebook page.
No time for a Writing Circle right now?
No worries! If you are interested in getting your writing project started… or finished… I have a few spaces for 1-1 coaching where there is more flexibility in scheduling. For more details, contact me directly.
Carolyn Scarborough is an award winning coach, author and mentor who clears the path back to your creative heartbeat and what matters most. Through deep, intuitive listening, she dissolves blocks and reconnects people to their authentic voice and purpose. From there, every day becomes a creative adventure. She has been leading popular women’s retreats and writing retreats for years, and people love her warm, nurturing, lighthearted approach. She is the author of “Backyard Pearls: Cultivating Wisdom and Joy in Everyday Life,” and has published more than 500 articles in publications around the world. She leads writing and women’s retreats focused on rekindling creativity, finding your way home and expressing from there. She has presented around the country, including the International Coach Federation, Austin Chapter, Unity Church, Seton Cove, the National Speaker’s Association and the Story Circle Women’s Writing Conference.